To: "RCSE" <soaring@airage.com>
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 11:59 AM
Subject: [RCSE] Re: "New Ky DS Record Set Today in Frankfort!"

>I know you're supposed to be pretty committed when you go in, but what's >a good way to get started? I felt like I bled off all my energy before >I even got started.

By "committed", it usually means having enough speed (energy) and diving deep enough to punch through the boundary layer. Think of it as the back side having three layers. Top layer is the air going in the same direction as the prevailing wind. Layer two is the boundary layer which can sometimes be a fairly ugly rotor. Layer three is below the rotor in what hopefully either calm air or even better, air going back up the hill.

One of the most common problems when you are trying to learn to DS is to not dive deep enough to get through the boundry layer. The plane spends the whole time in the air that's going all over the place. When you don't go deep enough to get out of boundry layer, it just sucks all the energy out of your plane. It's really like putting on the brakes. It sounds like that is what was happening to your plane. Also, don't go back to far. Try to keep it close to the hill.

Sometimes if the wind direction isn't correct, the rotor is the whole back side of the hill. If you aren't carrying lots of energy when you dive in, you won't make back to the top. Don't keep trying if it is like this.

I hope this helps.

Randy