Jim

I cannot answer the which powertrain question due to little knowledge but can answer the wire problem.

In the early days of brushless controllers they needed a sensor in the motod to relate therotor position for motor control hence the 5 wires.

With the later controllers these are not required this data is picked up by the micro from I believethe current waveform.

You can run the motors on a modern controller no prob (I do an Aveoxon a Jeti controller) just ignore the sensor wires and tie them neatly in the nose area.

Regards

Dave (uk)