On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 04:39:15PM -0800, Kent Miller wrote:

| I am looking for a first glider/airplane for a friend. He has never
| flown ( I will be helping him learn with a buddy box) ( good or bad
| ???) . I am looking for a semi indestructible self launching
| (electric) polyhedral (RE )glider. Anyone find a good one?

They're not really gliders, but they'd be perfect for learning --

Soarstar --
http://h1070103.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=SFM1000

Wingo, but it's out of production.

Easystar --
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar.htm

There's a number of other similar planes available as well.

They're nice because they're slow, stable, and with the motor/prop in
the back, most crashes won't even break the prop.

Buddy box = good, but these planes are resiliant enough that it's not
really needed.  But it'll be nice for building up confidence.

An electric Zagi was also suggested.  It's somewhat indestructable,
yes, but it's hard to fly, with more than it's fair share of bad
tendencies and it's pretty fast.  I'd suggest one of the planes I
listed above instead.  If you do get a flying wing, I'd suggest
something like the Combat Wings XE2 rather than one of the Zagis --
the Zagis generally have canopies, and they tend to break quite often
when they're crashed.

That said, I did a lot of learning to fly on a Zagi 400 ...

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sometimes paranoia is just a heightened state of awareness...