On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 10:53:49AM -0800, Dan wrote:

|    I have two film cans full of receiver crystals. Problem is I don't
|    know which brand of receiver they fit.
|    Is there a way to identify the receiver type/mfg. by the color of the
|    tag?

I don't know.  But I have a guess about who would know --

   http://members.aol.com/davthacker/radicalrcxtalexchange.htm

Perhaps he might be willing to offer a bit of assistance, especially
if you're a good customer or you give him some of the crystals? :)

|    I assume that Airtronics and Hitec are not interchangeable (?)

Generally you should not mix brands, though in practice it may work.
But do you want to risk a plane on it?  To make matters worse, single
conversion and double conversions crystals have totally different
values and so getting them mixed up won't work at all.

Hopefully the crystals generally do have the frequency or channel
listed on them?  If not, this could become a really large project just
figuring out what channel everything is on.

To make matters worse, some R/C crystals list the actual frequency
rather than the R/C channel in question.  But this might be a good
thing, as it'll help you determine if it's a single conversion or dual
conversion crystal, as single conversion are usually 455 KHz off, and
the dual conversions are usually 10.7 MHz off.

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Few things in life are as comforting as knowing how to quietly and