For flying shots, I would definitely suggest an SLR of some kind. None of the point and shoots are going to be fast enough. Shutter actuation is too slow, focus too slow, forget about follow focus. any decent in flight shots will be down to luck.

I have been using a Canon EOS20D, which is a decent camera. The kit lens (17-85 IS) is a great performer.

Did you know you could buy a 24+ megapixel SLR for just a few hundred dollars? Pick up a good used Canon EOS 1n body from eBay and load some film into it. You'll be amazed! Films are better than ever, and if you are an infrequent shooter it's still a great option for "gourmet" quality images. The trouble with digital is that the cameras become obsolete so quickly.

For travel, I still shoot film on a Leica rangefinder. Nothing comes even remotely close. Eighty percent of my stuff is shot with a simple (but very fast and sharp) 35 or 50mm lens. The Leica has no automatic exposure, no auto focus, no switches, modes, LCD displays, etc:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/galleries/essays/072000.htm

The Leica is, however, not so suitable for flying shots! But for the stuff I mainly shoot, it's perfect:
http://www.spectare.com/gallery/laosvietnam03/index.htm
http://www.spectare.com/gallery/china05/index.htm

--Jim Laurel