Subject: Re: Soaring V1 Beginner's radio

On Wednesday 21 December 2005 06.51, Norm wrote:
> I'd like to hear your opinions on what you think is a good radio system to
> get for someone just learning to fly. Something to use with basic electric
> trainers, foamie combat wings, and warbirds.
> Thanks guys-

Norm,

In beginner radios, I think it comes to price vs commitment.  Any radio can
serve the needs of a
beginner but the question is where do you want to go from there?  Whatever you
get, it won't go to waste.

GOING CHEAP - If you just want something that can fly a 3 channel plane for
the lowerst possible price, the Hitec SS radios are cheap and work fine.
This package for $60 includes 2 micro servos, a micro receiver, crystal, etc.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLGF4**&P=7
 The receiver and servos sell for $60 by themselves, so the radio is
essentially free.  For $12 you can add a trainer port to it to use it in a
buddy system or to run a flight sim.  Practically a throw away at that price,
but it still has elevon/vtail mixing and servo reversing, so it will get the
basic job done!  It uses dry batteries so there is no need to remember to
charge.  Just carry an extra pack of batteries.  Great for a keep in the car,
ready to fly any time!

COMMITTED - Then you go to a computer radio.  I think computer radios make it
easer for new flyers.   Dual rates and exponential can really help them with
the over contol issue most new flyers have.   Add to that the model memories,
Digital Trims, End Point Adjustment, and trainer port.  They all include
elevon and V-tail mixes as well as a few other mixes so the new flyer is ready
to go beyond that first plane when the time comes.

I feel the value leader entry level computer radio packages, that
include micro components suitable for small electrics. are:

Futaba EXAS - $160
http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futk55.html
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJUV7**&P=ML
review
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=556
6 channels, 6-model memory, Prop Flaps on ch 6, Flapperon using 1/6, 1 user
defined mix. The particular package I have listed at tower comes with micro
servos and receiver suitable for parkflyers

Or

Airtronics VG 6000
http://www.airtronics.net/VG6000.htm
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEUY5**&P=7
This particular package is very attractive for small electrics. Comes with two
small servos and a 20 amp ESC.  6 channels, 4 model memories, 6  standard
mixes, no user definable mix capability listed.

If you are going to stay in the parkflyer catagory, or in planes under a 60"
wings span, then you have to look at this one.

Horizon Hobby has begun distribution of a 2.4 GHz Spread Spectrum system from
SPEKTRUM.  SPEKTRUM has been selling these systems for RC cars for a while.
When you compare it to entry level computer radios like the Futaba 6EXAS, or
the Airtronics VG 6000, it is quite competitive in price and features.  And
since the radio is targeted at the parkflyer community, it is packaged with 4
micro servos and a micro receiver that are very appropriate for these planes.
Completely eliminates channel conflict issues.

DX6 DSM 6CH Park Flyer/Micro-Heli System $199
Includes 6 channel micro receiver and 4- S75 micro servos
http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Better/DX6-glance.html
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM2460
http://www.rchobbies.org/spektrum-dx6.htm

Digital DSMT Spread Spectrum Modulation
. 10-model memory
. Dual rates on aileron and elevator
. Exponential rates on aileron and elevator
. Dual and exponential rates can be combined on one switch
. Trainer system compatible with SpektrumT and JR® radio systems.
. Adjustable stick length
. Throttle trim only affects idle position
. Two-speed scrolling
. Throttle-smart fail-safe system
. Digital trims for precise adjustment

Airplane Specific Features
. Aileron to rudder mixing
. Elevator-to-flap mixing
. Flap-to-elevator mixing
. Flaperon mixing
. Delta wing mixing ( elevons)
. Aileron differential
. V-tail mixing
. Three programmable mixes

So, go cheap, or go entry level computer radio for the new guys.  Or, go
spread spectrum and never worry about channel conflict again!

Ed Anderson
aeajr on the forums
Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org

Soaring                        Wed, 21 Dec 2005         Volume 1 : Number 6837

In this issue:

        Re: Soaring V1 ??? (Digital SLR)
        Re: Soaring V1 Beginner's radio
        RE: [RCSE] Beginner's radio