Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 19:03:52 -0500
From: "Phil Barnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "RCSE posting" <soaring@airage.com>
Subject: Re: [RCSE] Hi Tech 5125MG Digital Wing Servo

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Watson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I ran them on ailerons in a Pike Superior for 2 years without any problems.

Tom

Dan Ahearn wrote:
Anyone have any experience with the Hi Tech 5125MG Digital Wing Servo?

I bought a Pike from Tom Watson (maybe the one he refers to????). To make a long story short; I stripped both HS 5125MG aileron servos on the first hard
launch. It wasn't really the servos fault, aileron flutter was the real
problem. I switched out those servos and put in a couple JR DS368 servos.
The ailerons still fluttered. The DS368s were not harmed but rather were
ripped loose from their mounts as the wing tips were ravaged by severe
flutter. That is a very short version of a long story that in the end taught
me two very valuable lessons:

1) JR DS368 servos are very much more robust than HS5125 servos. The 5125s
may be OK for ordinary use but if you want servos that will survive a lot of
abuse then the DS368s are better.

2) The Pike Superior in the SL (super light) version was not intended for
hard launches with extremely fast zooms. It was made for early morning/late evening flights in low wind/light lift conditions where light weight is very
important. It was anticipated by the designers that in low wind with hand
towing you would not be able to do really hard launches with extremely fast
zooms.

I don't own a Pike anymore. I use all DS368s on my Supras since I tend to be
an abusive sort of guy.

Phil