Hope you knocked on wood while writing that Bill    :)

Fact is, lots of folks have killed servos when running higher voltage packs and lots of folks have used them for ages with no problems. Take your pick and go with it, but a voltage regulator to keep things at 6V is not a BAD idea, it may not be totally necessary but it's not hurting anything being there other than being another link in the chain.

Then again, modern (fast and strong) digital servos don't require the extra zip of 6 volts anyway. Years ago when all this started, the servos weren't anywhere near the performers that modern servos are, and they were all analog. Today's high capacity batteries also suffer very little voltage drop under a 4-6 servo load.

   Dan

Bill's Email wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Barry is a very intelligent guy so likely forgot to mention that he's got a voltage regulator between his 5 cells and the system to protect things.

A voltage regulator insures that your digital servos and RX don't get too much of a good thing,

Every digital servo that I am aware of, and I run most of them from JR281's to 8611's and Futaba 9252's, CAN take 6 volts without a problem. Old wives tale. 7.2 volts is a different thing. But I love this myth about needing a regulator with 5-cell packs.

I have run 5-cell packs (Nicad & NiMH) in everything from D/HLG to molded TD to helis to 40% giant scale aerobatic planes for several years, ALL with digitals of various sizes, with not a single problem. Run a regulator if it makes you feel better, but it is totally unnecessary. And even in my big aerobatic planes I cannot tell the difference between flight #1 and #5 (when I charge).

The very worst thing that you "may" observe is a slight jitter when you first turn on. Lasts about 15 seconds as the surface charge goes away.

And to the point about stalling, etc. causing a need for a regulator. Sorry, the regulator does nothing there. A stalled servo pulls what a stalled servo pulls, irrespective of a regulator. Most OEM plugs are rated at 3 amps continuos (means no real rise in temp at that amperage) which is well below the full stall current for most glider digitals, and right at stall current for say an 8611 or 9252.

WEM