Agreed, operating at the higher voltage requires more careful consideration. I have seen situations where 5125's smoked when the control surfaces hung up because of the wiper, or two 5125's were operating a single surface but in the opposite(!) directions during set-up (more smoke), crashes where the servos was being stalled and started smoking, etc (don't meander making your way to a crash site). They will not tolerate this for an extended length of time, nor do other similar servos under similar circumstances. No one can expect servos to stand this sort of abuse, more importantly it certainly is not the servos fault.

I elect to supply 5cell voltage to all my 5125's and similar sized servos and larger because of the significant performance gains. A servo that can resist uncommanded mowement sooner will impact directly on control surface position "and" potential flutter. The frequency at which flutter may occur is pushed higher the more restricted the movement of a control surface.

It's also a misnomer that these servos are mechanicaly or electrically ill-equipped to handle the voltage of a typical 5cell NiCD pack. After many years in many different types of aircraft and all the brands available, I have yet to experience anomalies of any sort that could be attributed to operating at the higher voltage recommended by the manufacturer. Folks can elect to install a regulator if it makes them feel better, but the introduction of a linear-based power dissipating IC between the source and load without redundancy is (electrically) not for me.

The current quality of servos available to us from all marques continue to improve. Singling out a marque and calling it crap as someone stated just leads to a silly pissing contest and clouds the issue. It's easier to install a fatter servo like the 368, as there is less chance of a problem precisely as a result of it being beefier. Let's not confuse the issue by diminishing the abilities of the thinner servo. Again...it is not the servos fault!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Last night Cal Posthuma and I were discussing the situation with the smaller
digital servos. We've
never had problems with them however, one of our fellow flyers did. He was
using a larger battey
pack, I think it was a 6 volt, to get more zip out of the contol surfaces and
burned out some
servos. We have been using the standard 4.8 volt with no problems.

Dennis Hoyle
WMSS
Treasurer / Sec / Web Geek

www.rcsoaring.org