The Derstine page was a good start, although it was far from the last word on the topic. It represented his views and opinions. I think you all know the rest of that...

Aerotowing is definitely enjoyable. You asked for parameters. Tugs should be large enough and powerful enough to be seen and haul the planes up. While we have successfully towed a 50 lb sailplane with a 50cc 1/4 scale Cub, we do not recommend that for all.

The addition of larger engines to the tugs gives quite a bit of a safety margin to both ships. If the sailplane drags a wing tip and starts to pirouette on the ground, a larger/more powerful tug can pull through. A smaller setup would have difficulty.

It is our belief here in KS, where we do a lot of aerotow, that a powerful launch is best. The goal is to get the team up high enough and with enough airspeed that, should the tow need to be aborted, the sailplane has a better chance to return to the field.

Tug and glider pilot can both play a role in modulating the speed of the tow. I have ships that have easily overrun the tug. It was my fault, all I had to do was pull up on the sailplane to reduce it's speed. The tug pilot can also pull up to accomplish the same.

Do not scrimp on the quality of the tow release SERVO. The release should be tested such that the line is released under significant load. The servo should have good torque, obviously digital is overkill. Use the servo arm wisely, put the release cable/wire at the shortest possible part of the arm, not the outside. You don't need much throw.

It is critical that the two pilots communicate, especially when either is new or nervous. Do not hesitate to release if things get out of shape. Do not hesitate to tell the other guy to get off if things are either out of shape or too high for comfort.

Interesting to note the comment about things coming full circle back to power. I'd like to offer that we have found that the tugs without mufflers, like those used at JR, are loud. It wears on you after a while. You don't notice the sound levels 'till they take a break and it is significant and unenjoyable. We have had great success in hushing our tugs using mufflers, prop choice and throttle management.

Finally, smaller wheels on either the tug or the sailplane should be discouraged. If the sailplane is small, say 1/4 or less, the wheel will frequently not be tall enough for modest grass. Use a dolly. This is by far the most frequent cause of aerotow mishap.

Please go to my half-developed web site. I have lots of pics and videos, and lots of self incriminating descriptions of mistakes made with aerotow ships. Please learn from them.

www.kcse.us

Lee Estingoy
Kansas City Soaring and Electric Club
and in a new twist,

Consiglieri for Castle Creations, Inc.
Yes, I now get paid to play with toys planes all day long.  :)

Off to AMA show tomorrow.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Broeski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Ray Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Bill Swingle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <Soaring@airage.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 5:48 PM
Subject: Re: [RCSE] Aerotowing

I find that Aerotow is easier than other types of launching. Sailplane pilot keeps the wings level and the tow pilot does the rest. Heck, Johnny Berlin took my plane straight up while he was doing rolls. My job was to let him know when I was going to release.

One thing I noticed is that towing takes some special talent. There are occasions when tow pilots have a hard time keeping the right amount of speed and the right amount of climb for some of the faster sailplanes. Sometimes the sailplane can overtake the tow plane and make for some exciting releases. Or, from what I've been told, some of us less experienced sailplane pilots don't know when to use spoilers on tow. I guess there are two ways to look at it. One is to just pull the plane right up to release height the fastest way. The other is to make it more realistic like the full scale with a slower steady climb. I don't know which I like better yet. I do know that tow pilots like Johnny and others make it seem easy.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Bill Swingle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <Soaring@airage.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 6:21 PM

This probably doesn't help Bill, but I can see the full circle now.  Many
sailplane clubs were off shoots of power clubs and with aerotowing becoming
popular I can see the migration back to the power clubs.

Aerotow is very similar to an ROG winch tow, but Aerotow for sure beats
lugging the winch.

Ray Hayes
http://www.skybench.com
Home of Wood Crafters