Ed,

No manufacturer has ever claimed that PCM would work alongside FM on the same channel. I wouldn't jump to that conclusion based on one test. In fact I wouldn't even entertain the notion that it might be remotely possible.

The only reason I ever saw for using PCM receivers was the ability to change out the transmitter battery while the airplane was in flight. The PCM receiver - if no fail save settings have been implemented - will hold the last settings when signal is lost. So if the plane is trimmed for level flight you can shut down the transmitter for a while without the plane going nuts.

Hope this helps
Rick