From: Michael Neverdosky [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2006 12:05 PM
To: Soaring Exchange
Subject: Re: [RCSE] Computer Guided Thermaling

I am sorry but there is no such thing as a level playing field unless
you count one design contest with all launching on club supplied
equipment.

Isn't a bagged plane full of carbon fiber and kevlar an unfair
advantage over a built up wood model?
Isn't an all molded model with the latest design and build tech an
unfair advantage over even the bagged plane?
Hey, a computer radio with all sorts of mixing is an advantage over a
simple radio that only makes servos move according to the sticks.

Should we get rid of all of the advancements of the sport because they
are unfair?

No!

The thermal sniffer is no more advantage (generally much less
actually) than the latest molded plane AND it costs a LOT LESS.
The PILOT still has to fly the plane, do the task and make the
landing. It is the pilot and their skills that makes up the major
portion of the system that is a winning plane/pilot/team.

Besides, if you want to fly without thermal sniffers, picolarios and
the like just go fly F3B. There is no transmission allowed from the
plane to the ground in F3B.

Everybody has their own ideas of what is and isn't unfair equipment
but read the rules for the event. If it is allowed in the rules then
it is FAIR. If it isn't allowed in the rules then it isn't.

michael

On 1/20/06, John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My father always said, about competition, that you can buy advantage, but
> you can't buy respect and admiration. I have the utmost respect and
> admiration for the guys that win without all the Big Buck equipment and
the
> technical advantage. They fly in the spirit of competition that is only
> proud of winning on a level playing field.
>
> John
"unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that
MIME turned off.  Email sent from web based email such as Hotmail and AOL
are generally NOT in text format