I always thought it was due to children chewing on toys, their crib and items around the house that were painted with lead based paint. They exhumed some lost explorers and determined that their death was caused from lead poisoning. They were eating food from cans that were sealed with lead.

No, we are not hallucinating -- "no lead gasoline" is a real reaction to the number of children who are mentally retarded because of lead fumes.