John raises an excellent topic in his last post. This is an area where the woody guys and I agree. I too have wondered; how does a newbie to RC get into soaring? And especially; how does he get into the kind of soaring competitions that I participate in? I don't have the answer.

There are a few guys in our club and nearby clubs who fly woody type airplanes. At our annual CASA Open contest we have even held an RES class to entice them to compete. One problem that arises is that the winches we use now are not well suited for woody type models. A stock Gentle Lady has real trouble lifting 800' of 220lb test line with a retriever line along for the ride. It gets worse if you ask that Gentle Lady to do it without the risk of breaking it's wing. So to even hold an RES class you need to set up a special winch with light line and probably a low power setting.

So I guess guys could learn to fly RC with park flyers then transition to inexpensive woody type soaring models. They could start in competition with woody contests which is why I am all in favor of seeing this aspect of competition succeed and grow. A certain percentage of those guys would have the interest and money to transition to composite soaring models.

To answer John's question: I think it might be less than 10-20% scratch builders that enter the NATS. The way things are going, it won't be long before it will be hard to find guys who can even put together an ARF model. I don't know what to do about that other than being a resource for that type of information. Certainly the internet makes it easy for people to get the information needed to learn how to scratch build.

So there are some random, unconnected, incomplete thoughts. I need to get back to the shop now.

Phil