ok
--

Date:  Mon, 27 Jan 2003 16:38:29 EST
From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] [add to address book]
Subject:  MICHAELLANE
To:  [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear Wally, Vic, and Bill:

While I am waiting for Rodney Shakespeare to make a response, I thought I'd write to
you three alone.  I offered to Wally to help back him up in the discussion group, and
he said that what was needed was to clarify the national dividend of social credit
from the "second basic income" of Shakespeare's version of binary economics.  I
believe I did that.

In the course of this, two matters came up that I wanted to address just to you three.
 One was Bill's statement that Douglas's essential observation (i.e., the A+B Theorem)
was about the fact the people do not spend all of their income but save and/or invest
it.  While it is a true observation, I think I can confidently appeal to both Wally
and Vic that this is not what gives us the A+B Theorem.

The other was the question of setting profit margins.  In "The Use of Money" Douglas
says that if you just issue

more tickets to make up the lack between the purchasing power available and the prices
of the goods for same, . . . you get a rise in the prices of articles, . . . because
there is nothing to prevent the prices being raised when the sellers find there is
more money about.  But you can produce exactly the same result by, let us say, halving
the price of everything.  That is to say, instead of doubling the amount of money on
one side, if you halve the price of everything for sale on the other side, you will
produce exactly the same result as if you had doubled the money without raising the
prices. (p. 15)

Now you cannot confidently speak about "halving the price of everything" if at the
same time sellers can set the "pre-halved" price at whatever they want.  In fact, it
makes a mockery of the whole argument, because it would be just as vulnerable to
sellers' raising prices as would issuing more tickets.  This realization was a
breakthrough in my understanding of Douglas, though you might say it should really
have been obvious that the "compensated price" and "halving the price" are an
abandonment of market prices.  The seller gives up his right to charge what the market
will bear in return for the advantage of participating in the program.  It is a
perfectly fair arrangement.

Finally, I want to say that if social credit is compatible with market prices, then my
entire approach to Rodney Shakespeare was in error.  Indeed, I would then have to
admit that he is right and that there IS no difference between what he calls a "second
basic income" and a national dividend.

After I feel I have concluded my assignment with Rodney, I will be unsubscribing to
the list.  It is an awfully mixed group and seems to scatter my energies too much.  In
addition, I am online only at work and am becoming uncomfortable receiving so many
personal e-mails.  I am sure the three of us will continue to correspond.

MICHAEL LANE