John,

This is a fantastic article--thank you so much for posting it.  I have a million comments, but I'll limit them to three.

1.  The internet actually is organized on a centralized heirarchy through the thirteen root dns servers (.com is one of them, .net is another, et cetera).  Several weeks ago when the SQLSlammer virus hit the web, it caused five of these thirteen dns servers to crash.  Crashing these five machines slowed down worldwide data transmissions an estimated 30%, and more notably killed 100% of internet activity in South Korea, which is now suing Microsoft's Korea division.

There are efforts in play right now to develop Internet Protocol version 6, which will create more unique IP addresses.  Considerably more.  Right now there are roughly 4.2 billion IP addresses (not enough for every person in the world to have one).  These numbers are available for purchase in huge blocks and are largely underutilized and wasted.  IPv6 will support 3.4e^38 addresses.  That's more than a billion of a billion addresses for every square meter on the Earth.  In other words, the need for users to "purchase" or "lease" a static IP address from a central authority will be a thing of the past.  With the advent of peer to peer technologies and the support of the open-source community there are new technologies coming out that will effectively invalidate the role of Internet Service Providers (ISPs) as the dispensers of IP addresses, and will certainly dethrone the DNS heirarchy as well.

So the world of information, though currently very centralized and heirarchical, is in motion toward becoming more and more decentralized, less heirarchical, and ultimately, less politically and geographically bound.

2.  I didn't know that higher education was extended to more people in the U.S. than anywhere else in the world.  Is that actually true?  I thought that the U.S. had a higher poverty ratio than any other developed nation.  I know that 3 of 5 children in the state of Wisconsin live beneath the poverty level, according to December 19th's national Mayor's reports findings.  I wonder how far higher education extends here compared to the EU.

3.  Coincidentally, I listened to JFK's "Man on the moon" speech this morning on public radio.  I believe it was the spirit of that speech, in no small way, which lives on in the American people and their drive to explore the possibilities of new technology.

Finally, thank you all for sharing your thoughts and ideas here.  I'm thrilled to finally have a venue for my ideas on social credit and (perhaps more importantly) strategies for its application.  My specialty is enterprise web application development and internet technologies, so this topic is right up my alley.

Cheers,

--N. Alex Rupp

This email was sent to: archive@mail-archive.com