Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2003 9:02 PM
Subject: Re: [SOCIAL CREDIT] John Gelles' war bonds

In war time governments find the money to conduct the war (build planes, ships, bombs etc) which they can never find in peace time. The problem is that they borrow the money which is paid into the war economy. To overcome inflation they sell bonds (ostensibly telling the people the money is needed to support the war effort and help our brave fighting forces) which is in reality a way of mopping up surplus money to reduce demand for consumption goods. at the same time they introduce ration coupons for food ,clothing, petrol and other items.

It is a fact that whilst so many are taken out of the workforce for the military and another lot are removed from producing consumer goods and are occupied in capital production( planes, ships, bombs - goods that do not come on to the consumer market) no one starves.

If the same principle could be applied in peace time, to build hospitals, schools, provide education, build homes etc. we would be better off. If the money came from a source other than borrowing (debt) we would be even better off. If the money (finance credit) was provided against the real credit of the nation (the ability to provide goods and services as, where and when wanted, we could be on the way to realising the use of our social Credit.

As for Keynes, he amongst other economists would not recognise Douglas' findings that there was a deficiency in purchasing power yet perverted the Social Credit idea that it did exist, by his admission that it did, by introducing his "pump priming" deficit budgeting. The difference, on this question alone, between Keynes and Douglas is that Keynes proposals were based on government borrowing and increasing debt, which ultimately increased prices and inflation, and the necessity to increase taxes.

Douglas' proposals were based on the creation of new money to be applied to increase purchasing power, prevent inflation, and without an increase in government debt, and no need to increase taxes.