John Gelles wrote:

>           Since my posting of a message a couple of
>           hours ago, on the Center for Full Employment
>           and Price Stability (CFEPS)'s criticism of the
>           400 noted economist's statement in opposition...

Dear John,

As you know from reading about Douglas, Douglas never
advocated "full employment."

In fact, Douglas espoused the Christian fulfillment of life,
in that 'time of leisure' is afforded by production that
greatly surpasses the need for someone to work long days
to achieve.

As my dear colleague, Mr. Olson has said on the CyberSpace
Society list, we must prepare ourselves for "overabundance."

Indeed, while I do not envision Douglas' position to take
each and every citizen to the point of being a "contemplative
monk" -- he clearly subsumed economic labor to the pursuit
of "spirit" -- wheverever that might take an "individual."

And, to maintain the "spirit" -- Douglas certainly hoped that
labor, and the entire economic system, become subservient
to that pursuit.

Regards,

Curtiss
--

           W. Curtiss Priest, Director, CITS
      Center for Information, Technology & Society

This email was sent to: archive@mail-archive.com