One dear colleague, Mr. Gelles was struggling with the
fact that many of us belong to lists, and discuss the prospect
of a brighter economy -- not just a brighter, greedier economy,
but something better.

For example, Mr. Gelles said this to a "Social Credit" list
(and others):

  We are up against the popular belief that national
  and global aggregate spending is like the money in
  ordinary peoples accounts and their monthly bills.
  Money is not like that. It can be like the money that
  won the Civil War and WW II -- money that
  serves objectives not lowest short term price.

And, while some question Mr. Gelles "economic perspective,"
Mr. Gelles then makes the observation that a very small
subset of the population can talk on, say:

  List, LINCT egroup (Learning and Networks)
  List, Loka Institute (Science Policy)
  List, Longwaves (Long waves in the economy)
  List, LTSC (P14) (Technological Standards for Learning)
  List, LWSIDE1 (a 2nd Long waves discussion)
  List, Netfuture (Talbott's newsletter about technology & mankind)
  List, Open Spectrum (Can the airwaves be free?)
  List, Post-Careerist (What is "work?")
  List, Renaissance Network (Moore's list on advocacy)
  List, Social Credit (C.H. Douglas' seminal ideas about economy)
  List, Telecom Policy - NorthEast (Telecommunications)
  List, TOP (The Optimum Policy -- Mr. Burt's list)
  List, Telecom Roundtable (Telecommunications)

Gelles comments that we are not heard by the "man on the street"
and can we do something about that?

To which another dear colleague, Mr. Hirschfeld, responded
to my notions that, perhaps, we needed "better production
facilities?" with these reflective thoughts:

--

           W. Curtiss Priest, Director, CITS
        Research Affiliate, Culture & Media, MIT

This email was sent to: archive@mail-archive.com

Or send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- Begin Message ---