John,

Despite the bickering, you, Shann, Norm and relief
pitcher Michael seem to be in broad agreement as to
certain principles.

Please correct me where I'm wrong.

>From the way I understand your post below, you share
their belief that profit should be measured in terms
of cash flow; that operational profit over a period
should be defined as Cash Receipts - Cash
Disbursements = Profit.

You object to the accountants' definition:  Sales -
Expense = Profit.

Is my observation correct?

Now, Norm, Michael and Shann go a bit further than
that.  I'm not quite sure if you take this extra step
or not.  Please let us know if you do or do not.

The extra step is this:  Against sales, along with
other expenses, the accountants charge an intangible-
- depreciation X.  They object to that charge because
in their view it causes the accountants to under
report profit.  The real profit is the accountants'
profit + X.  Actually, it could be higher due to
other manipulations in accrual accounting they
would avoid through cash accounting.

The fund from which dividends could be paid and
capital acquired is much bigger than the accountants
report.  The management is in on the conspiracy
because they do themselves use cash flow in their
personal analysis.  They know what the real profits
are.  They look at the accountants' reports and add
depreciation back in to approximate the real numbers.
The accountants' profit is only a smokescreen to show
outsiders.

This secret fund is used to purchase capital--
thereby concentrating capital within the firm and to
the insiders and direct beneficiaries of the
ownership of the firm.  Possibly also to pay
themselves inflated salaries and bonuses.  God
forbid! not to pay dividends if it would mean money
is to be paid to outsiders.

So we are not really facing a Bankers' conspiracy but
a conspiracy of Corporate Insiders that has persisted
for hundreds of years.

It is therefore okay to borrow money from the bankers
to purchase stock to acquire ownership; they will be
repaid first before dividends are paid because they
are our allies on the way to salvation.

What do you think?

Bill