To: A few who are friendly to, and the many who are
stonewalling, my analysis of the structural reasons for
the present condition of the US economy.

Good day folks,

I am much obliged to Ekky Irion for copying me on his Thu,
2 Oct 2003 post of a July 31 article by Stan Cox, AlterNet, on
the skewed US income distribution.  Stan Cox made an
impressive presentation of the data by locating the median
US income of $43,000/year in his home town of Salina,
Kansas on US Interstate Route 70, and locating other data
points at cities along route I-70 with a scale of $1,000/year
per mile, as shown on Stan Cox's attached "Incomemap.gif."
For those of you who might want to make a different chart
of the skewed US income distribution, the excerpts below
include the major data points.

While the high incomes receive most of the attention, I find
the structural reasons, that allow the growing gap between
rich and poor, as illustrated on attached Fig8.1.gif to be more
interesting.  Three of the most obvious reasons for the skewed
US income distribution are pointed out in my comments below
the excerpts from Stan Cox's article.

> ~~~~~~~ Begin excerpts ~~~~~~~
> ~~~~~~~~~ Snip ~~~~~~~~
>
> The median income was about $43,000 in 2002.
>
> the federal poverty level for a family of four in
> 2002 - about $18,000 -
>
> 95th percentile, 95 percent of households
> take in less than $150,000 a year.
>
> Ninety-nine percent of households make less
> than $374,000,
>
> "Average income of the top 1%" ($1,082,000)
>
> The George W. and Laura Bush family, reported a paltry
> $856,000 in 2002 income,

> The average income of major-corporation CEOs in
> 2002 was $7.4 million.
>
> The top 400 incomes (IRS year-2000 figures),
> averaged $174 million.
>
>~~~~~~~~~~ Snip ~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> The distribution of wealth is even more wildly skewed than that of
> income; the 5% of households with the greatest net worth own almost
> 60% of the country's wealth.
>
> The income map doesn't have to be so distorted. This huge gulf
> between the rich and the rest of us is a recent phenomenon. From
> World War II up to 1979, incomes increased at about the same rate in
> all brackets. But from 1979 to 1997, the average annual income of
> the top 1% (after taxes) increased by 157%, or $414,000 in 1997
> dollars. Over the same period, the income of the poorest 20% fell by
> $100.
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~ Snip ~~~~~~       ~
>
> Stan Cox is a plant breeder/geneticist and writer living
> in Salina, Kansas.

~~~~~~~~~ End excerpts from Stan Cox's article ~~~~~~~~

By happy coincidence, the right side of Fig8.1.gif covers
the income range from $zero (at Wilson, KS) to almost
$150,000/year, the 95 percentile of US households,
(at Topeka, KS).  If we consider expanding the chart of
earned income by adding foldout pages, at
$150,000/year/page, the 99 percentile ($374,000/year)
would be on the left of page three.  Notice that
discretionary income on the chart is increasing rapidly
after earned income exceeds the social security payroll
cap at about $76,000/year.  When household income
reaches the 99 percentile the 13% SS payroll tax will be
reduced to only 2.6% of earned income, and continues
down for higher incomes.  This is one reason for the
growing gap between rich and poor.

Notice also that the highest levels of debt service are
paid by the large middle class (between Ellsworth, KS
and Topeka, KS) and then declines rapidly at incomes
above $150,000/year.  The wealthy have less need to
take on debt to pay for subsistence and higher education
of dependents.  The "Washington Consensus" pays
only welfare and 1-12 education from the public revenue.
I had the good fortune to complete my BS ME under the
1942 G. I. Bill which paid my tuition plus $65.00/month
subsistence.  So here is a second structural reason for the
growing gap between rich and poor.

Notice that a "Basic Income Guarantee (BIG) in the amount
of $5,000/year/dependent would open up the Discretionary
Income of all households, by eliminating the expense of
dependent subsistence shown by lines 1 to 6 on the chart.
But notice also, that a children's allowance at $5,000/head,
a much less expensive proposition, would expand
household discretionary income down to the #1 line, which
is the expense of supporting the worker him/herself.  Why is
1-12 education paid from the public revenue at a rate of
$6,500/year/head in the US, while child support at
$5,000/year/head is charged to the parenting household
budget in the US?  Here then is the third structural reason
why the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

There must be some powerful reason why "Basic Income
European Network" (BIEN) and various US and Canadian
activists have been promoting a Universal Basic Income (UBI)
for the last twenty years, while Europe and Japan have used
a dependant allowance since the 1940s to enable their
economic miracles.

But the reason why the above three reasons for the growing
income gap have not been addressed and the structural
violations of the "Laws of Nature and of Nature's GOD"
have not been corrected, is because US taxpayers pay their
elected representatives the Biblical pay rate (the second tithe)
of about four times the US average household income, or
$200,000/year.  That seems fairly generous until you recall
that in a Democracy, each elected representative must raise
$1,000,000/year for campaign funds to assure his/her
reelection every two or four years.  Democracy Sucks, without
the law, and the law should costs only 20% of earned income
to cover development and executive compensation.  The third
tithe, for the feasts and the poor, was a discretionary
commandment to the household in Biblical Israel, rather like
the other ten commandments which taught the congregations
to Pray, Pay, and Obey.

The income of the top 400 US households was $174 Million/year
in 2002 according to Stan Cox's data source.  So if the 100
Senators and 435 Members of the House of Representatives each
need $1,000,000/year to assure their continuity in office, the top
400 US households need only pay 0.77% of their income to
preserve the status quo.

On the other hand, with about 61% of our 285 million population
in the workforce at an average income of $50,000/year and
producing a total national income of $8,692,500 Million/year,
the majority of US households need only pay 0.0062% of their
income to preserve Democracy, Liberty, and Justice in America.

Who ever pays the piper calls the tune!  As Milton and Rose
Friedman said on other economic questions, we are
"Free To Choose."

Kind regards,

Wes Burt

To further explore "The Optimum Policy" illustrated
at URL <http://www.epie.org/cyber-soc/default.htm>
send a blank e-mail to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.