What I mean concerns the questions posed to Bill.
Suppose that he supports the view that in the modern
U.S. banking system, money creation by one bank is
ordinarily offset by money destruction by the same
bank or by other banks unless the Federal Reserve
Board deliberately chooses to make it otherwise.
Pat Gunning
I do not support that view.  I completely reject the
money multiplier concept.

The Fed is the concertmaster in the following sense:

Imagine that all the banks in a closed system
associate between themselves so that checks drawn on
any one bank may be deposited in any other bank.  One
of the banks is chosen to be the clearing bank at
which the member banks maintain clearing accounts
that we will henceforth call reserves.  All of the
banks including the clearing bank continue performing
the ordinary functions of banking.  Each of the banks
may grant loans without limit so long as it maintains
a sufficient balance in its reserve account to cover
checks that may be deposited in other banks.  The
clearing bank is the exception in that it is
unconstrained by reserves because every check it
writes clears back to itself and does not detract
from its ability to grant loans.

If each bank including the clearing bank expands
credit in tandem with every other bank, clearings
between banks will always net to zero regardless of
the quantity of aggregate reserves.  Therefore credit
may be expanded without limit unconstrained by
reserves so long as all the banks continue to operate
in perfect tandem.  If any single bank departs from
the prevailing practice, it will gain or lose
reserves to other banks, which enhances or detracts
from its ability to grant further loans.  Each bank
therefore competitively attempts to gain reserves
from other banks and attempts to avoid losing
reserves to other banks.

This juxtapositioning between banks would effectively
place an upper limit on bank credit expansion were it
not for the fact that the clearing bank writes checks
for loans that clear back to itself.  So the
independent credit policy of the clearing bank sets
the upper limit to system wide credit expansion.  It
is however the upper limit, not the lower limit,
which is zero.  Credit actually granted to the public
is necessarily somewhere between zero and the upper
limit subject to change in bank policy contingent on
the demand for credit from members of the public.

Douglas' theorem from *Social Credit* first published
in 1924 holds as a statistical matter between zero
and the upper limit which is continually shifting:

"In respect of financial institutions, let deposits =
D, loans etc. = L, cash in hand = C, and capital = K.
Then: assets = L + C, liabilities = D + K, so that L
+ C = D + K. Differentiating with respect to time:
dL/dt + dC/dt = dD/dt; K being fixed, dK/dt = 0.
Assuming cash in hand is kept constant, dC/dt = 0.
Therefore dL/dt = dD/dt, which means that loans
create deposits and the repayment of loans cancel
deposits."
--

15 Nov 2003 11:17:07 +0800

Speaking of apparently misguided proposals, here's a
puzzle. Can anyone solve it?

What is wrong with the following proposal?

I propose that we increase the quantity of money by
just enough to finance a 10% subsidy to retailers of
consumer goods. The result, I predict, will be
approximately a 10%  decrease in consumer goods
prices. (This program is advocated by a movement
called "Social Credit." For those who might be
interested, here is some background.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit

Pat Gunning
Professor Gunning posted this Saturday to his
austrianschoolofeconomics group at Yahoo.  All I can
say is that it causes me to empathize with Eimar
O'Duffy's allegory that man will be replaced by a
creature called rabbit, certainly if this is a fair
indication of the ability of man to communicate with
man.  We've been at this for how many days now with
Professor Gunning, two weeks is it?  For him to now
so misstate the social credit position is to me
beyond comprehension.  O'Duffy may well have had it
right.  It certainly does indicate a failure to
communicate.  I am not however assigning blame as to
who is at fault for that failure.

Social Credit does NOT propose an increase to the
quantity of money.  It DOES propose a credit applied
at the point of retail - as a matter of accounting -
to enable demand to match supply. That's all that
Social Credit proposes.  The percentage is determined
by what is required to accommodate that match.  If
nothing is required then the credit is zero, period.

Social Credit analysis - based on the A + B theorem
in the form of reductio ad absurdum - concludes there
is a defect in the system of accounting which
entrepreneurs use to measure the effectiveness of
their decisions that is not resolvable at the level
of the individual firm.

Therefore, accounting adjustment at the macroeconomic
level of the economy considered in statistical whole
is required for capitalism to reach technical
efficiency.

The wikipedia article that he references contains
numerous gross errors in statement of fact.  For the
moment I'll touch on two:

"Douglas believed that Social Credit could fix this
problem by ensuring that there was always enough
money (credits) issued to buy all the goods that
could be produced. His solution is outlined in three
core demands:

"1. For a "National Credit Office" to calculate on a
statistical basis the amount of credit that should be
circulating in the economy."
---------------
The singular purpose of the national credit account
is to calculate and apply the necessary credit to the
point of retail that enables demand to match supply
as a matter of accounting.  The "amount of
credit...circulating in the economy" is determined
exactly as it is determined now -- by the interaction
of the institution of banking with the public.
--

"2. For a price adjustment mechanism to absorb windfall
profits in times of inflation, and return them to

Social Credit is pure credit applied at the point of
retail or directly to consumers in the form of
dividends in the manner of accounting adjustment.

It thereby augments not interferes with the utility
of the market.

For a good introduction to Social Credit in Major
Douglas' own words, see
http://www.geocities.com/socredus/compendium/money_and_the_price_system.txt

I am cross posting this to Professor Gunning's group.

Bill Ryan

From Eimar O'Duffy's *Kingdom of Assinaria* as quoted
by Robert Hogan:

This depression was followed by a great war which
destroyed most of the civilized world and reduced the
few remaining inhabitants to a primitive pastoral
existence.  In a few more years, the society of men
has been succeeded by a society of rabbits, and in
the last chapter two of the Gods "observed a dim star
among the drifting millions flash suddenly, and go
out."  One of the Gods muses that, "There ends
another of my experiments."

And the second God inquires, "A successful one?"

"'Nay, a miserable failure, though at one time it
gave good promise.  That star gave birth to a number
of planets, on one of which I evolved, after much
thought and toil, a strange creature called Man.  At
first he was truly interesting, but he reached his
zenith too quickly, and then rapidly declined.
During his last few hundred years, when he was
already far gone in decay, he achieved a mastery of
natural forces that was marvelous in a race so
stupid, but his wickedness and folly were such that
it did him more harm than good.  In the end I
superseded him by a somewhat lower creature called
rabbit; but this had no great potentialities either
for good or evil, and so nothing came of it.  A few
million years ago the planet fell back into its
parent sun, which has now itself come to an end.'

"'Did these Men that you have mentioned achieve
nothing of lasting worth?' asked the other God.

"'Almost nothing,' replied the first.  'A few of them
did occasionally show some glimmerings of divine
wisdom to which their fellows paid no heed.  That,
and some trifles of tolerable music, is their only
memorial.  If you listen you may catch some echo of
the latter still moving among the spheres.'

"The Gods were silent; and the ghost of the Ninth
Symphony came stealing through the ether."

This is an effectively wry conclusion to a highly
talented writer's major work...
http://www.geocities.com/new_economics/assinaria.txt