On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 08:21 +0200, Joerg Schoppet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anybody here on the list has experiences with Ubuntu 7.04 running
> on soekris 5501?
>
> I've made a PXE-installation on a CF-card and everything went well:
> hdb1 - root-filesystem
> hdb5 - swap
>
> When I reboot the system everything went well (GRUB, ...) until it
> wants to mount the root-filesystem, then I get the error:
> ALERT! /dev/hdb1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

My best guess: /dev/hdb1 is on the CF, but apparently not on whatever is
used as root fs inside the loaded intrd image. You will probably have to
rebuild your intrd image to support /dev/hdb.

> And a "BusyBox"-shell is opened.

..which runs from the intrd root fs.

> If I start a rescue-system from PXE, it detects correctly the card.

The rescue system (on NFS/initrd?) is probably a bit more capable than
the standard initrd you used above. Maybe it's possible to use this as
your system to boot from.

> Are there some special modules, which have to been loaded? Or is there
> any other tip/trick/hint to start Ubuntu on a 5501?
>
> By the way: An actual debian stable works out of the box.

Again, probably because the initrd image has more device nodes.

These are just guesses, but I couldn't think of anything else that could
be wrong, given what _does_ work. I wouldn't be surprised if Ubuntu in
its standard setup assumes that there's never a second disk in a
computer (true in 99% of all desktop computers for SOHO use).

Adding a few device nodes to an intrd image shouldn't be that hard,
provided there are enough disk blocks and, more importantly, inodes
available (bytes-per-inode is the thing to look for if creating the
device files gives trouble - see mke2fs(8)). You can probably just mount
the image onto a loop device, but there are also various tools available
for creating custom initrd images.

Bill