Hi James

Welcome to the list.

2007/11/3, James Hosken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Just got myself a net5501 and have installed IPCOP on it.
> All seams to be working OK apart from when I try and boot without
> the serial cable plugged in. It just refuses to boot. But when you
> connect up the cable during the boot is just continues.

I had the same problem, but it has gone now. Oh, I take that back: It
might not be quite the same: At exactly which point in the boot
process does the boot stop? You can see it by noticing where it picks
up when you insert the serial cable. Mine stopped in the display of
GRUB's menu.

For your information my grub menu.lst looks like this:

================
# Which listing to boot as default. 0 is the first, 1 the second, etc.
default 0
# How many seconds to wait before the default listing is booted
timeout 8
# Hide the menu
hiddenmenu
# Setup a serial console
serial --unit=0 --speed=19200 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
terminal serial

title Gentoo Linux 2.6.22 i686
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1

title Gentoo Linux 2.6.22 i686 (Old)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz.old root=/dev/hda1

I believe that the 'hiddenmenu' thing did the trick. I'm not
absolutely sure, because at the same time I changed the NIC
configuration from using DHCP to using a fixed IP address. I think
that some of the boot failures I saw were due to the 5501 getting
another IP address than the one I pinged. I should of course have used
nmap to see where it appeared.

I hope this will be of help.

Kind regards,

Bent