I spent a few hours this weekend trying to connect some Dallas
Semiconductor temperature sensor chips to the GPIO pins on the 5501.
The first problem was figuring out the pinout of the GPIO connector
(which does NOT match the documentation in the 4801 manual).  Once
that was solved, the next problem arises: OpenBSD 4.1 does not seem
able to identify the chips.  The gpioow and onewire devices seem to
work, but then I get an error message from the onewire or owtemp
driver: family 0x00 serial ... not configured.  in this particular
case, the chip is a DS1822; I need to test other chips I have sitting
around (1820, 18B20).  I know the chips themselves are good, as I can
read them using a DS9490 adapter using a USB connection under Windows
(yuck).

Has anyone had any luck connecting Dallas sensors directly to GPIO
pins on a Soekris, using any of the *BSDs, or some other OS?  I
suspect that there may be combination of factors at play: The
pullup/pulldown current of the GPIO pins might be insufficient to
drive the Dallas chips in 1-wire mode (using parasitic supply), and
the OpenBSD driver might not be up to snuff in bit-banging.

By the way, I've also tried using the DS9490 USB-to-one-wire adapter
on OpenBSD 4.1, no luck with that either, but I haven't had time to
debug it.

--
Ralph Becker-Szendy    [EMAIL PROTECTED]               (408)395-1435
735 Sunset Ridge Road; Los Gatos, CA 95033