On Dec 10, 2007, at 8:30 PM, Louis Mamakos wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2007, at 6:29 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
>> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> Louis Mamakos w
>> rites:
>>
>>> I just received a net5501 and am running FreeBSD 6.x (RELENG_6) on
>>> it.  It has a 1GB CF card, and a 60GB ATA 2.5" IDE disk drive
>>> installed.  I have problems with FreeBSD booting, hanging just after
>>> the probe/attach of the two ATA disks, unless I disable the DMA in /
>>> boot/loader.conf:
>>
>> Which bios version do you have ?
>>
>> There was a ATA DMA related issue until 1.32i (from memory).
>>
>> Poul-Henning
>
> It identifies itself as "1.32i 20071005" when it powers-up/restarts.
> I don't
> seem to have any problem with reboots hanging, just this DMA thing.
>
> Alternately, is there a known-good minimal kernel config I ought to
> start
> from?  I'm running a pretty recent RELENG_6 kernel; are there any
> known
> problems there, or fixes not MFC'd from RELENG_7 or HEAD back into
> RELENG_6?
>
> louie

Upon further experimentation, it seems that if I remove the CF disk
from the system, then the PATA drive boots and runs with DMA enabled.
The CF card I'm using is marked externally as a "PNY" 512MB CF card.  It
probes as "TOSHIBA THNCF512MMG 3.10" at boot time.  With it running
in UDMA100 mode, I get about 4MB/s of transfer rate, about twice
the PIO4 rate, and of course with a lot less system time!

I have some UDMA-cable CF cards on the way that I'll try next to see
if there's something toxic with the PNY card I have now.  Though I
did just see phk's note regarding the Sandisk Extreme IV cards, so
I wonder what new and interesting things I will find next?

louie