In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bill Maas writes:

>Manufacturers obviously don't plug their cards into Soekris boxes for
>testing and benchmarking, so average speed in the lab (the 45 Mb/s
>claim) is not what the average end user will ever see;).

In properly built cameras they will.  The CF speed is measured using
the CFA extension to the ATA command set, where erase operations are
done as soon as possible, so that writes are straight writes to the
flash array.

Search for "CFA ERASE SECTOR" for more details.  I'm working on support
in FreeBSD.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]         | TCP/IP since RFC 956