Could someone knowledgeable verify the following bits of information:

A. There is a functional second USB port on the 5501 board.

B. The USB port is on connector JP8, which has a clearly labeled pin 1,
and uses the standard USB pinout (1=Vcc, 2=Data-, 3=Data+, 4=ground).

I think question A has been confirmed several times.  Question B is the
troubling one.  There are three candidate connectors on the 5501 board
that have been discussed here in this context.

JP15 is between the CF socket and the power LED; on my board, it was
left empty, but on pictures I've seen a white plastic 4-pin locking
connector in it.  JP8 is between the CF socket and the miniPCI socket,
near a crystal.  JP7 is near the edge of the board, between the serial
and power connectors.

The only "definitive" answer to this question comes from Poul-Henning,
who a few months ago said "next to the CF socket" - but that might apply
to either JP15 or JP8!

Irrelevant observations and questions are below.

Soren: The manual for the 5501 is getting more urgent.  Pretty soon
people are going to start blowing up hardware, because they have to play
guessing games about where to connect things.

And if JP8 is indeed the answer, it is in a very inconvenient location,
as it gets covered by the hard disk holder, which means something will
have to be soldered (either a right angle header onto JP8, or remove the
header and solder a cable right into the board).  But I can live with
that, it is easy to understand that the board is quite crowded.

And once we understand where the USB is, it would be nice to figure out
what useful things we can do with the other two 4-pin jumpers.

--
Ralph Becker-Szendy    [EMAIL PROTECTED]            (408)395-1435
735 Sunset Ridge Road; Los Gatos, CA 95033