Steve Holdoway wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 22:13:54 -0600
> "Darrick Hartman (lists)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Andy Michaels wrote:

>>> Hmmm, the only thing I can suggest is to check your udev settings.
>>> I'm assuming you're using linux with a device name like "/dev/hdb".  I
>>> once had an issue where  my soekris box's NICs showed up as eth3,
>>> eth4, eth5.  It turns out that because the disk image I used to set up
>>> that soekris was created on another soekris, it (correctly) recognized
>>> the NICs on this soekris as new devices.  Sounds like that could be
>>> what's happening to you.  Or, it might not be :)
>> I'm guessing not.  The CF is being detected the the net5501 bios as
>> being primary slave.
>
> That's just the way they're made. Some are set up as primary, some
> secondary...

I guess I can live with that as long as it's going to stay the same on
each boot.

Looking back through the online archives, I did find where this was
mentioned as far back as 2004 and saw the full explanation about how
some cards don't properly initialize the cable select function.  At
least these boot.  I ran across some "industrial" cards that are labeled
as INNODISK iCF 2000.  These won't even boot in a net5501.  They will
work in some other devices I have though so worse case, I have 2 1GB
cards for my camera.

Darrick
--
Darrick Hartman