On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 02:56:27PM +0200, Steffen Clausen wrote:
> I have a problem with my net5501 soekris. I have tried installing debian
> on it and it went fine, until I tried to boot up it was not able to
> mount the root on the sata disk.
> Then I tried to install to the flash card, in went good, but I am still
> not able to mount the sata disk. Its a brand new hitachi 250 gb sata disk.
>
> Below is output from the bootup
>
> What can be wrong ???
> 178.
>      hda:hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> 179.
>      hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

Looks like a bad hard drive. Have you tried it in a different PC? Have you
tried a different SATA cable?

The fact that the drive is brand new makes it more likely to be faulty, not
less. It's known as a "bathtub" failure curve :-)

It could conceivably be a problem with the Soekris though, so it's worth
checking the drive on a different PC. Since the Soekris is just a very small
and slow PC, you should be able to mount (or even boot) the same drive on a
"normal" PC.

HTH,

Brian.