> If you're looking to run pfSense I've found it doesn't work so well
> anymore on a net4801, you need something beefier to get anywhere with
> it. pfSense is less designed for embedded hardware than it is for
> full-blown PCs, while m0n0wall is still aimed at the smaller devices
> (and even that is starting to have trouble with less-powerful machines
> like the 4801).

I've got a 4801 that I purchased back in 2004.  It has 128MB RAM and
runs PFSense just fine.   I installed it 3 months ago, (used to run
OpenBSD) and it's been running flawlessly ever since.  No noise (well,
okay, there's a very slight hum, but you have to put your ear to the
case to hear it).

-Andy