hey Karl,

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 05:09:24PM -0600, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> I've a net5501 and have gotten a pci slot case cover
> with USB plug and cable for exposing the internal
> USB connector to the exterior of the case.
>
> The problem is that because there's nothing
> plugged into the pci slot, the right hand
> side of the pci case slot cover is free to move;
> enough so that it can be lifted and
> freed of the restraint placed on it by the circuit
> board.  This frees the right hand side of the case
> slot cover to wiggle around, making
> plugging and unplugging a USB device more difficult
> and possibly endangering the electronics should the
> case slot cover contact the electronics on the board.

Sure, how about drilling a small hole in the bracket, alligned with the
hole in the soekris case, like this:

http://soekris.kd85.com/images/dsc/tn/dsc07775.jpg.html

That way you can put a screw through it:

http://soekris.kd85.com/images/dsc/tn/dsc07774.jpg.html

making it a lot more reliable to unplug USB or (e)SATA devices:

http://soekris.kd85.com/images/dsc/tn/dsc07780.jpg.html

> I rejected a screw assembly similar to that which
> comes with the cover supplied with the case because
> of the difficulties involved in tapping threads
> into the case slot cover.

just use a bolt + nut, no need to tap a thread into the pci bracket.
In my case, I recycled a spacer nut as it was the first thing
I found on my desk...

Easy and reliable.

Wim.