I just set built a 5501-70 with a sata drive and a lan1641 to use as a
firewall and simple router.  Will be running PF under FreeBSD 7.1, and
I've pared down the kernel.  The thing seems to be working well so
far, but I have not done a lot with it yet.

My main question is whether I should prefer the vr or sis devices for
the higher use interfaces (one being handle by PF) based on the
capabilities of the chips, and/or the design and stability of the
current drivers, and/or the fact that one set is on a PCI card?

If anyone has thoughts or experience here, I would love to hear it.

Thanks,

 - Tom