Hi Matt,

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 03:37 -0500, Matt Lawrence wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jun 2009, Bill Maas wrote:
>
> > (b) set up an NFS boot server, boot the box off the NFS root, and again
> >    try SSH. In this case reconfiguration will only require a reboot of
> >    the Soekris box. The drawback is that you may get to see numerous
> >    nondescript error messages from NFS before you get it all right,
> >    each of which may take a day or more to fix (really!).
>
> How about configuring to PXEboot, which uses DHCP & tftp to grab a boot
> image, to boot something like RIPlinux.  Adding in trying to use NFS for a
> root filesystem really isn't necessary and a lot more work.  Just run
> straight out of the initrd.

Hadn't even thought of that because I never do it that way, but
definitely worth trying. Still, nothing beats an NFS boot when it comes
to on-the-spot configuration/updating. It's also quite useful for
quickly grabbing a dmesg and other config info off a box. And once set
up properly (...), it tends to work fine, most of the time;)

Bill