Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <4af865ed.5090...@lr.los-gatos.ca.us>, Ralph Becker-Szendy writes:
> >Beginning this weekend, the machine crashes frequently, then refuses to
> >boot.  After powerup, it tries to spin the disk up, fails.  Keeps
> >trying, and eventually succeeds.
>
> Bad power-supply.
>
> >My theory: Either one of the power supplies has become weaker with age
> >(either the external brick, or the internal converter), [...]
>
> Very likely explanation.
>
> Try another brick first.

Exactly correct, thank you Poul.  The Soekris-supplied external brick
(part number SBD212) was very ill.  With no load, it was putting out
10V, with the Soekris connected (without disk) about 7.7V, and with the
disk on, the power supply went gaga (that's a technical term for the
voltage fluctuating down so much that I can't get a steady reading with
a voltmeter).  Replacing it with another 12V brick solved the problem.

Thanks for the hint!  The problem ended up much simpler than I had
feared.

--
Ralph Becker-Szendy    ra...@lr.los-gatos.ca.us            (408)395-1435
735 Sunset Ridge Road; Los Gatos, CA 95033