phk> In message <4b6a03d9.10...@krotus.com>, Jordan Share writes:
>> Yes, and after a "secure erase" command (and, presumably, fresh from
>> the factory), the FAL does know that there is no good data on the
>> disk, right?  (As mentioned here:
>> http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531&p=11 )

phk> My experience: Maybe, maybe not.

Indeed.  We have found several SSDs where SECURE ERASE is a NOP.

And so far in my testing I have identified 1 (one) SSD model with a
correct and reliable DSM TRIM/DRAT/RZAT implementation.

It appears that most SSD firmware is written by the same group of people
who are responsible for designing USB-ATA bridges and wiring up BIOS
ACPI tables.

The mind boggles at the disingenuity of the FTL in many of these SSDs.
Say what you will about reliability of disk drives.  But this apparent
lack of experience and prudence would never fly in the hard drive
industry.  The only reason SSD vendors are getting away with it right
now is that they are mostly aiming at the early adopter/overclocker
market where things are flaky regardless...

Martin