Jed,

   Using X-windows on a 4801 does have some advantages.  I used it to
run gparted to rebuild my hard drive without losing data. I installed
gparted and then started an X manager on my PC in another VT.

   The process is not quick but it does work. I posted this link before
but in case you missed it:

   http://64.124.13.3/hacks/multiple_wm.html

   If it is not clear, please Email me and I can review it to make it
more understandable.

--
William Estrada
Mt Umunhum, CA, USA