On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 06:41:35 EDT
Jed Clear <jcl...@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> First a few basics:  is the area in all six directions around your case clear
> of obstructions?  Is it on a flat
> surface so the bottom holes are clear.

The bottom holes do _NOT_ contribute to cooling in any way if you have
a PCI card in the case. Because then all holes are covered by a PCB,
thus blocking the air flow of those holes completely.

>  Nothing thermally insulative is on top of the case?  Even though there are
> no
> vent holes in top, it still radiates heat.  Conversely something thermally
> conductive on top of the case could help
> matters with heat, although something metal could impact the WiFi signal.

Radiation cooling doesn't work if you have a quite flat and bright
surface and you have to radiate at least 5W. Especially considering that
the system is designed for 20W, i don't see how anyone would think that
radiation is going to work at all.

> Some non-modifications that might add just a bit more cooling:  Raise the
> case slightly (e.g. coins under the feet) to
> give more clearence underneath.  See if you can mount the case vertically,
> creating a longer chimney for convection.
> Obviously you don't want to just stand it on end, which would block the end
> vents.  Probably want the PCI card end up.

Putting the whole case on it's side with additional feet that keep it
a few cm above ground is the only real way how you can use the net5501
if you dont want to use a noisy fan. (Chimney effect)

Alternatively, you can drill holes into the top over the whole length
until you've enough convection to keep the temperature down.

                        Attila Kinali

--
WYSIWYG is not a solution, it is the problem, and until we get around to
realizing that very few of us are competent to design fonts, styles, or