> Kernel config should have been

#CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD is not set
CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_IDE_GD_ATA=y
CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC=y

Ok, from this - probably /dev/hdX is right. Anyway, for Soekris nt5501 i
then recommend turning on CS5536 companion chip support, for now your
config shows "# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CS5536 is not set". At least this gives
CF reading/writing performance boost. Don't forget then to turn off
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_GENERIC, as this is a generic driver for most IDE chipsets.

>> LILO config:
> You imply that putting root= in the image section and in the 'append='
> section are equivalent;

Yes. Your kernel coomand line ended probably with something like this:
"vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 console=ttyS0,19200n81 root=/dev/hda1"

> thought that one was an instruction to the lilo installer, the other was an
> instruction passed to the kernel

Lilo installer uses only boot=/dev/... for installing boot sector. Image
specific root= is for kernel command line.

> The partition is definitely at dev/sdb1 on my build machine,

Yes, on building machine this is right, you definitely don't want to
finish installing your Soekris specific lilo to your development machine
boot sector.

> I thought I'd tried changing this to /dev/sda1, but I'm not 100% on that and
> I'll give it another go.

 From kernel config this looks like /dev/hda1 is still right. Which
filesystem is used on CF? ext3? Your kernel config shows that only ext3
and fat/ntfs filesystem support are included.

--
=<Alvar>=