My not terribly recent experience with Solaris on SPARC was that if there was
no Sun keyboard installed, it would automagically use TTYA as the console.
Which brings to mind a question, what speed do you have your terminal set for?
If it's set to the net5501's default 19200, you might just need to set
everything (BIOS and terminal) to 9600 to catch Solaris booting.  I wouldn't
bet on it being that simple, but certainly worth a try.

-Jed