On 04/04/11 14:33, Francesco Trentini wrote:
> sorry if this is not the proper channel, but I remember a discussion on
> Soekris list time ago about the possibility of the inclusion of a simple
> RAID1 chip on board.
>
> Due to the imminent new board 6501, and the presence of two SATA
> interfaces, this will surely be a very welcomed addition allowing to
> create a simple mirrored bootable array of two disks.

Francesco,

There is no need for a RAID chip in order to be able to boot from a
RAID1. I have been doing so in several machines using Linux's md
capabilities for several years.

I am not often able to test whether the machine boots when one of the
mirror disks has failed (as opposed to just being absent), but on the
few occasions where this was the case it has indeed worked properly.

Cheers, Jan