On Jun 12, 2011, at 4:04 AM, Aragon Gouveia wrote:

> While we're on this subject I thought I'd bring up something that
> MikroTik are doing with some of their Routerboards.  Could be a nice to
> have feature on future Soekris boards too!
>
> Their RB450G, RB750G, and some other new boards incorporate dedicated
> switch controllers wired to the onboard ethernet ports.  What's great
> about this setup is that port routing can be set in software.  Ports can
> be selectively routed to the switch controller for wire speed switching,
> or to the CPU for L3 routing and/or software bridging.  The best of both
> worlds!
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to have something like this on our Soekris boards?

actually the way that's done is a the atheros system on a chip (ar7130 or 7161
in this case) includes the ethernet switch... this a fairly typical as an
approach to building a wireless ap... the  BOM is reduced because you've got
one major chip with all the components on it. on the other hand you get to live
with a 32bit mips 24k running at 160-600mhz and 16-128MB of ram depending on
the board you're talking about so if that is appropriate for your application
great and if not then it isn't.