On 29 Oct 2011, Soren Kristensen uttered the following:

> Hi List,
>
> I'm don't really know Linux very much, prefer FreeBSD those times I need
> to work with Unix.
>
> But don't Linux have a setting somewhere to not modify the PCI
> configuration ?

That's not normally good enough, because a lot of BIOSes turn PCIe ASPM
on even for cards that want it turned off, even if you tell them not to
do so in the BIOS config (if you're lucky and it even has an option to
say such things).

> I on purpose don't enable PCIe L0s power state because of the 82574L
> bug, Linux turn it on....

The e1000e driver actually has explicit code to turn L0s and L1 off at
initialization time, in case the BIOS left it on... and then *something*
is turning it back on again when the interface comes up. What, is not
yet known. (Well, obviously it's something in the kernel, obviously it's
a bug, but nobody has tracked it down yet. My fault, really, I was
affected by this bug eight months ago but didn't want to get into the
reboot-of-major-server mania needed to find the damn thing.)

--
NULL && (void)