For every person who is reporting trouble, there are probably 10 or 1000 who
remain silent because they have no problem.

Johan Huldtgren wrote:
> FWIW, I have had issues with my net5501 running OpenBSD, but only
> when I've used a wireless card in it. If I don't use the wireless card
> the box is rock solid, if I use the card the box will lock up hard
> (have to pull power). This has been reported by quite a few people
> on various OpenBSD mailing lists[1], and as such I've always considered
> it an OpenBSD issue.

Very similar setup: net5501-60, PATA disk in small case, wireless card (Atheros
instead of Ralink).  Extra hole for fan in the case, but fan not used.  The
only crashes / reboots / hangs happened when my Soekris power supply was slowly
dying, and were fixed by using an old IBM laptop supply.  Clearly OpenBSD has
issues (although fewer than any other OS i know of), in particular when using
it as an 802.11 access point, or the file system not handling unusually large
block sizes on huge external disks, or with Dallas 1-wire sensors.  But at
least for me the Soekris hardware was rock-solid.

This actually causes a problem: the Soekris is too good, and gets you addicted.
 For the upcoming major upgrade, I want to stay with Soekris, and use a 6501.
But a VGA port would be nice, an extra SATA port would make migrating disks
easier, and more USB ports would reduce wiring hassles with external hubs.  But
I'll trade a lot of "nice-to-have" for a solid and stable platform.  Similarly,
I would like to continue with OpenBSD, but the lack of 802.11 client power
management support makes that problematic.  Difficult choices.

--
Ralph Becker-Szendy     408-395-1435     ra...@lr.los-gatos.ca.us
735 Sunset Ridge Road; Los Gatos, CA 95033