Attila,

  Thank you for the detailed post.  It is clear that you have some
understanding of best practices regarding digital PCB layout.  However,
you've made a number of assumptions and generalizations.  Are you
certain that there are no power and ground layers within the net5501
multi-layer board?  I would be surprised if this were true, but I'll
leave it up to Soren to clarify.  The photo you posted shows four bypass
capacitors surrounding the RAM chip in very close proximity.  It would
be difficult for any layout designer to get them any closer to the
chip.  Sharing capacitors is just fine as long as there are separate
runs from the capacitor to each chip.  The whole point of the capacitors
is to offset the inductance of the PCB power runs.  It is physically
impossible to have zero-length runs from the capacitors to the chips.
The chips have small internal capacitors anyway.  Your photo
demonstrates a good PCB design.

  If I were having problems with a small SBC (net5501) that only
occurred when it was attached to an RF transmitter (your WLAN card), I
would be looking at the RF susceptibility of the SBC, and the isolation
of the transmission line and transmitting elements from the SBC.  It's
doubtful that Soren did any RF susceptibility testing or analysis of the
computer.  Most computer manufacturers do not bother with such things.
The metal boxes he sells for the SBCs should take care of most of the
problems anyway.  It's entirely likely that the problems that you've
"fixed" are related to the RF susceptibility of the net5501.  Small
pieces of carefully applied brass or mu-metal in selected circuit areas
would probably have accomplished the same thing that you did by adding
some capacitors.

  Jeff