On 2012-11-14, Lon Willett <x_soek...@lonw.net> wrote:

> So linux has been lying to me: my net6501-70 CPU is really running at
> 600 MHz.  That explains why it's so slow with its (fortunately rare) CPU
> intensive tasks.

This is because the TSC (timestamp counter) used to calculate cpu
speed is run at a constant rate in these newer Intel CPUs (indicated
by the constant_tsc flag in Linux /proc/cpuinfo, or CTSC in the cpu
attach line in very recent OpenBSD -current),unless the OS knows how
to handle this, it will report the maximum cpu speed, so you don't
see that it was running at a lower rate.

http://anoncvs.estpak.ee/cgi-bin/cgit/openbsd-src/commit/?id=4b2a0a3689f8b7eb014d69d959ba537e89339103