On 03/16/2014 09:59 PM, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
> We will be soon getting a 25Mb/s link and I was wondering what max
> throughput people had found for various models of Soekris boards - I
> have some 4801s and a 5501 at the moment but was concerned that these
> might not have the grunt to cope, especially as it would become my end
> of a PPPoE link and might also host some static web pages too.

I have a 5501, and my ISP upgraded my VDSL2 line to 25.5Mbit/s a couple
of months ago. The box runs Debian Wheezy. It terminates the PPPoE link
so that the DSL modem's IP stack is not exposed to the internet.

I'm able to saturate the internet link, but I have had to make some
changes. Principally, I've begun migrating wireless traffic off the box
for two reasons:

- the box was getting just too crashy under load;

- I could not saturate the internet link in one of my main use cases,
namely browsing from a wireless client via a proxy server that resides
on my LAN. So in this case the box would deal with PPPoE, firewalling
(incl NAT), shift the traffic onto the LAN towards the proxy, then
bridge it back again to the wireless client.

Jan