On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 03:30:09PM -0500, Erik Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 2:43 PM, ED Fochler <soek...@liquidbinary.com> wrote:
> > A fair number of old, cheap 1g ethernet cards will work in the
> > net5501.  Take note of the necessary second notch in the PCI pin
> > section on the card.  I can absolutely verify that the netgear
> > GA311 rev.a1 works.  :-)
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-GA311-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B0001NYJ58
> >
> > caveats: gigabit ethernet cards tend to consume a couple of watts
> > when working at gbit speeds.  In a normal computer you don???t
> > notice, but the additional power draw and heat load can be
> > significant in a small closed box.
> >
> > Also you won???t get full gbit out of it.  The internal bus for
> > PCI and/or memory will limit you.  expect < 400mbit for the
> > simplest of tasks.
>
> Great info. Thanks Ed. It does sound like if I need to route at
> near-GigE speeds, I'll need to upgrade my board.

I use the Intel PCI-x GigE cards. In (Free|Open)BSD x86 these cards
are handled by the em driver. Although the Net5501 doesn't have a
64bit PCI-x slot the card works in the 32bit PCI slot. I'm forwarding
packets at 120Mbit per second with is pedestrian at best and the card
generates quite a bit of heat but it works.

-- Chris