It really sounds like a baud rate mismatch. Try a few other standard ones
and see what happens there? (9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200).

It sounds like you might have local echo enabled on your openbsd terminal
emulator. That's why the terminal might appear to be read/write instead of
just read.

A second step would be to test the null modem adaptor with two serial ports
connected together. You should see characters typed into one of the ports
show up on the other.