Hi,

at the moment I am facing a problem with session timer expiration in
if sofia-sip is not the refresher.

The scenario is as follows:

A sip client based on sofia-sip sends an INVITE to a proxy (not sofia-sip)
with SESSION-EXPIRES:400. The Proxy answers with
SESSION-EXPIRES=400;refresher=uas

Now nua sends a bye with session timeout to the proxy after 400-400/3 -32
(approximately 235) seconds.

This is too early in my opinion.

RFC 4028 Section 10 says:
   "Similarly, if the side not performing refreshes does not receive a
   session refresh request before the session expiration, it SHOULD send
   a BYE to terminate the session, slightly before the session
   expiration.  The minimum of 32 seconds and one third of the session
   interval is RECOMMENDED."

This has been referenced in nua_session.c in function session_timer_set and
the following calculations are done:

  interval -= 32 >interval / 6 ? interval / 3 : 32 + interval /3

I think the RFC could also be interpreted as:

  interval -= 32 > interval / 3 ? interval / 3 : 32;

Maybe the RFC is a bit unclear here, but the second code line should be more
tolerant with user agents that don't refresh the session at half of the
expiration
time (which is recommended by the RFC).

This way some call interruptions could be prevented.

Best Regards,
Timo